1 C. flour
1 T sugar
½ C. butter
6 C. rhubarb, cut into ¼ – ½ in. pieces
4 T butter
2 ½ C. sugar
4 egg yolks
1 C. light cream
4 T cornstarch (or slightly more)
4 egg whites
½ C. sugar
Preheat oven to 300 F.
- CRUST: mix flour & sugar; cut in butter. Press into bottom of greased 9×13” pan. Bake 10 minutes at 300 F or until set.
- Bump the oven temperature up to 350 F.
- FILLING: combine rhubarb, butter and sugar over medium heat; boil until tender. In a separate bowl, combine yolks, cream and cornstarch until mixed well. Add a few tablespoons of the hot rhubarb mixture to the yolk mixture at a time until the yolk mixture is warm. SLOWLY pour the yolk mixture into the rhubarb mixture, stirring constantly. Note: if you do this too quickly, the hot mixture will cook your yolk mixture and it will be chunky.
- Pour filling onto baked crust and top with meringue.
- MERINGUE: beat egg whites until frothy. Slowly add the sugar and beat again until the mixture stands in peaks. Spread over filling.
- Bake about 20 minutes at 350 F until meringue is a light gold color.
- Allow dessert to cool on counter and then transfer to refrigerator. Serve cold.
Yield: 12 servings