Tonnemaker Explosion Salsa (canned salsa)
8 cups super ripe heirloom tomatoes, chopped coarsely
6 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
6 cayenne peppers, seeded and chopped
oil for sautéing the peppers
2 cups onions, chopped
3 cups sweet peppers, chopped
7 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup tomato sauce
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ cup cilantro, fresh, chopped
juice of 3 limes
1. Sauté onions, garlic, hot peppers, sweet peppers in a little oil for a few minutes.
2. Throw in tomatoes and all the juice that’s running off the cutting board.
3. Simmer on medium-heat, uncovered for 15 minutes. Stir often.
4. Meanwhile, mix up tomatoes sauce, cumin, paprika, vinegar, salt and cayenne. Add to the simmering tomato mixture. Continue to cook for another 10 minutes.
5. Remove tomato mix from stove and add cilantro and lime juice. Pull out prepared jars and fill with hot salsa.
6. Top with boiled, hot lid. Tighten and set in prepared hot water bath.
7. Boil in hot water bath for 15mins. Remove jars & rings (when sealed) and wash.
Yield: 6-8 half pint jars