2 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
1/2 C golden flax meal
1/4 cut toasted wheat germ
1/2 tsp salt
8 Tbsp cold butter
6 Tbsp. vegetable oil
6 Tbsp ice water
7 cups peeled apples
2 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp quick-cooking tapioca
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp all spice
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, flax meal, wheat germ and salt. With a pastry blender, cut butter and vegetable oil into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs (you can also pulse in a food processor).
- Gradually add the ice water, a tablespoon at a time, and gather the dough into a ball. Divide the dough in half and flatten each half into a disk. Place each disk on a sheet of floured waxed paper. Sprinkle a little more flour over each and top with two more sheets of waxed paper. Refrigerated for at least 30 minutes before rolling out.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out half of the dough to a 12” round and fit into a 9” pie plate, pressing it into the bottom and up the sides of the plate.
- In a large bowl, toss the apples with honey, sugar, tapioca, lemon juice, vanilla and spices. Spoon mixture into the pie she..
- On a slightly floured work surface, roll out the remaining dough to a 12-14” round and place over the filling. Press the top and bottom edges of the dough together to seal and, with a pair of kitchen scissors, trim the edges to make them neat. Using a fork, crimp the edges. With a paring knife, make several steam vents in the top. Place the pie plate on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F and bake for 30 minutes, or until the juices are bubbling and the crust is golden brown. Cool completely on a rack before serving.
Recipe from OrganicGardening.com